Last20

Last20 Apparel is a sustainable clothing brand that collects and properly recycles 20 plastic bottles for every item sold.

SEE THE PROJECT β†—

The Last20 Story

1. Only 9% of the plastic ever created has been recycled, meaning the other 91% of waste goes to landfills or incineration. This ultimately contributes to our ever growing residual rate which the portion of material that ends up at a recycling plant and still ends up going to landfill or incineration. In Toronto the residual rate is 30%, meaning nearly one-third of all recycled material never gets repurposed. This includes plastics such as low-density polyethylene which are some of the hardest to recycle. We need to find creative ways to upcycle our burden of plastic.
 
What is Last20's main value proposition? upcycle plastic waste into innovative solutions.

This means that Last20 is a social enterprise that upcycles plastic waste into innovative solutions. We are developing a proprietary blend for recycled plastic resin used in plastic paving. Last20 Upcycle is currently in research and development stages. We are using high- and low-density polyethylene as a substitute to bitumen in traditional pavement projects. Pavement made with recycled plastic resin maintains properties of improved water-resistance and impact-stability compared to conventional pavement; it’s more cost-effective than bitumen; it’s also a sustainable solution designed to upcycle tonnes of recycled plastic waste that would end up in landfills or incineration. Last20 sells shirts made from 6 recycled plastic water bottles to help fund the main plastic paving initiative. 

Date Founded:

2018

Revenue & Grants:

$23,000+

Volunteer Hours Logged:

10,000+ hours

Enterprise Managers:

Lauren Barnes
Brittney Mighton

"...with Last Twenty we aim to take plastic waste out of the environment..."

Watch the Last20 promo video on why and how this enterprise was created and what the team is doing to help combat waste in the environment.

Want To Join Last20? See Open Opportunities!

Team Last20

The Last20 team works to develop, manage and grow this enterprise and develop and refine their strategy to continue to solve their enterprise's mission.

Brittney Mighton
Enterprise Manager
Lauren Barnes
Enterprise Manager
Jessica Weinberg
Co-Vice President of Marketing
David Brunsting
Co-Vice President of Sales & Operations
Marcus Stapells
Co-Vice President of Sales & Operations
Lily Liu
Co-Vice President of Marketing
Deepika Sivaram
General Member
Tyler Blanchard
General Member
Jared Um
General Member